大学英语快速阅读第四册16篇翻译 下载本文

内容发布更新时间 : 2024/5/19 12:58:11星期一 下面是文章的全部内容请认真阅读。

from the opposite direction were three teenagers who were laughing and talking in loud 从相反的方向进行了三个年轻人在大声说着,笑着

voices. When they saw the old woman, they began to shout crude remarks at her. One of them

声音。10他们看见那老妇人,他们就大声地喊原油谈到她。其中一个

grabbed her shopping bag and pretended to throw it out into the street. The woman stared 抓住她购物袋,假装把它扔到街上。女人盯着

helplessly at them, like a wounded animal surrounded by hunters. Then, having had their fun, 无奈的,像一只受伤的动物被猎人。然而,在他们的乐趣, the teenagers went on their way. 这些青少年都掳掠去了。

I had seen enough of the world 's coldness that day and wanted to leave it behind. At home, 我已经看了很多冷淡的世界的那一天,想要把它抛在后面。在家里,

I huddled in the warmth of my family. I wondered why we all contribute to the world 's 我蜷缩在温暖了我的家庭。我想知道为什么我们都有助于世界的 supply of petty cruelty. There's enough of it already. 供应小心眼儿的残忍。有足够的此事了。

The Power of Forgiveness

宽恕的力量

It was 12: 37 a.m. as the bus pulled from the terminal at Bowling Green, Kentucky. The 已经是12:37点为公共汽车被从终端保龄球绿色,肯塔基州。这

streets were silent and the night was cool. I 'd gotten my sister on her way to Ft. Knox 街道沉默,夜已很酷。我想拿到我的妹妹她的方式,以英尺。诺克斯

after a weekend visit. At this time, I wanted nothing more than to go back to the dorm and 周末的访问。在这个时候,我什么也不想要超过回到宿舍

get some rest. I never thought that a trip to the bus station could be so dramatic, that I 好好休息。我从来没想过,去车站会如此引人注目的,我

would face death because of others' prejudice. Later on, I would need to overcome the 将面对死亡,因为别人的偏见。后来,我就需要克服的 effects of that prejudice. 研究人员称:这些偏见。

After giving my sister spending money, I couldn't afford to take a cab back to the dorm. So 在让我的妹妹花的钱,我不能冒些出租车返回宿舍里。所以

I decided to get a little exercise and run to the dorm, about four miles away. When I had 我决定去运动一下并运行到宿舍,关于四英里远。当我有

gone about two blocks, I noticed a truck slowly following me. When I turned around to see 走了走,过两个街区,我注意到一辆卡车慢慢地跟着我。当我转过身去,看到了吗 who it was, the driver sped up, went to the next block, and turned right. After I 'd run 是谁,司机加快,走到下一个街区,却向右拐。我很想跑后,

another couple blocks, I noticed the truck in front of me. A guy on the passenger side 这一街区,我注意到卡车在我的前面。一个家伙乘客的一面

started yelling at me, \ 开始对我大吼大叫:“嗨,黑鬼。”然而,我还是跑,假装忽视 them.

他们。

Three blocks further on, they appeared again. This time, the driver had three other guys 再过三个街区,他们又出现了。这一次,司机有三个其他的家伙

sitting in the back of the truck. \ 坐在车的后面。“黑鬼,我们真是要杀了你,”他们喊道同他们一样

threw cans and bottles at me. Trying not to show any fear, I continued my uphill journey to 把罐和瓶子看着我。尽量不去显出害怕的样子,我继续艰难的旅程

Western Kentucky University. By this time, I feared for my life and started praying silently 肯塔基大学大学。就在这个时候,我怕给了我生命开始祈祷,无声 to God. I knew that each step would bring me closer to a safe haven. 神。我知道每一个步骤会带来我接近一个安全的港湾。

When the guys in the pickup turned left, I passed them by, and I didn't see or hear from 当个人在车内离开我的时候,我的成绩通过了考试了,我没有看到或听到的

them for three more blocks. However, as I approached the corner of the fourth block, they 他们在接下来的三个多块。然而,当我走近时的角落里,他们第四块

surprised me. Five white guys jumped from the corner and surrounded me. One guy wearing a

让我感到惊奇。五个白人上涨,从角落里围绕我。一个人戴着一

University of Louisville baseball cap said to me, \ 路易斯大学棒球帽对我说:“在黑人的技巧,你要去?”和所在

me into a guy behind me. Then the guy wearing the U of L hat hit me in the stomach. As I 我到一个家伙给我的支持。那家伙穿你的L的帽子打了我的肚子。我

folded over, another guy kicked me in the side. Immediately after that blow, another kicked 折叠的结束,另一个男人踢了我的身边。接着的寒风,另一踢 me hard in the rear, and then blows came from everywhere. 我被狠狠地甩在后面,然后吹来自无处不在。

As I fell to the sidewalk, I felt a stick break on my back. There were more kicks to my face 当我倒在人行道上,我感到一根棍子打破我的背。有更多的踢自己的脸说的 and ribs and then, I felt nothing. 和肋骨,然后我感觉不到任何拉动。

When I awakened, my mother was sitting beside my bed. When she saw me move my head, she

当我醒来,我妈妈坐在我旁边的床上。当她看到我把我的头,她呢

simply said, \ 简单说,“感谢上帝。”我花了三个星期才走出了医院,和7个

to recover from four broken ribs, a broken collarbone and arm, fractured skull, and severely 恢复四根肋骨被折断,一颗破碎的锁骨和手臂,头骨碎,很重 beaten face. Physically, I did recover. 击败的脸。身体上的,我做了恢复。

As people came to see me, I felt the tension between the blacks and whites. Coincidentally, 随着人们来看我,我觉得紧张关系的黑人和白人。巧合的是,

the police reported that I was \ 警方报告说我是5攻击“留给身份不明。

They failed to investigate either the vehicle or the license plate number that a witness

他们没有调查或汽车工业或它的车牌号码,证人 reported. 报道。

When I got better, I purchased a handgun and walked the street every night for at least a 当我得到更好,我买了一只手枪,走街上至少每天晚上吗

month. I didn't speak to, eat with, or associate with white people in any form or fashion. 月。我没有说话,吃,或白人交往在任何形式或时尚。

One night, as I was walking away from the bus stop, I saw the pickup. As I waited for the 一天晚上,当我走在离公共汽车站的时候,我看到的猎物。我等着

driver to come out of the convenience store, the anger and hatred rose within me. All the 司机出来的便利店、嗔怒和愤恨玫瑰在我的脑海中。所有的

malice I 've ever felt transferred to the index finger of my right hand on the trigger of my 恶意我真是感到过转移到食指我的右手在扳机我的 handgun. 手枪。

When the guy came out of the store, I grabbed him from behind and pushed the gun in his 当那个家伙走出了店,我从后面抓住了他,把枪在他的吗

side. I dragged him behind the building and put the gun to his throat. \you remember me?\

一边。我拉着他在那建筑物的后面,把枪他的喉咙。“你还记得我吗?”

I asked. \ 我问。“嗯……啊,”他回答说。在琢磨我吹,我想知道你为什么

all did that to me that night.\ 都做了,我晚了。”当这名男士开始哭,请求他的生活,我感觉到了吗

immensely powerful, however, he said, \ 超级强大的,然而,他说:“我真的很抱歉,我来看你的

hospital. I 'm the one who sent the card. Don't hate the whole white race for the mistakes 医院。“我那差遣那张卡片。不要恨全白的竞选的错误 of the few ... I wrote that.\ 为数不多的…那是我写的。”

I remembered the card. As I looked at that man again, I saw the pain he had been carrying 我记得这张卡片。当我看着我那个人了,我看到的痛苦里到处翻着

for four months. As I let up on the trigger, I looked at him and said, \ 四个月。当我松懈在扳机,我看著他,说:“我原谅你,”

walked away. Then I took the bullets out of the gun and threw them to the ground. 走开了。然后我把的子弹出枪,并把它们夷为平地。

As I walked up the hill to Western Kentucky University, each step gave me a new freedom. 当我走上山西方肯塔基大学,每一个步骤给了我一个新的自由。

When I got to the top of the hill, I was a brand new man. I was not only free of malice and 当我到达山顶时,我是一个全新的人。我不仅没有恶毒〔或作阴毒〕

prejudice; I had become a man who could forgive the prejudice of others. I had decided that 偏见;我已经成为一个男人,让这个男人能够原谅偏见的人。我已经认定 night to walk in a new power: the power of forgiveness. 夜晚走在一个新的力量:宽恕的力量。

A Life of Quiet Desperation 生活在平静的绝望中”

I was much more naive and trusting ten years ago than I am today. I believed that all 我更天真的,并且信任比我十年前的今天。我相信所有的

policemen were good, all doctors were caring, and all people shared my concern for their 警察是不错的,医师都被富有爱心,所有的人分享我的关注孩子的

fellow man. I realized with anguish the folly of making such generalizations when my sister, 其他的人。我意识到有何城如做这样的愚蠢的概括当姐姐,

Laura, committed suicide. I was not only angered about my own naivety but also outraged by 劳拉,自杀了。我不仅激怒了自己的幼稚而且激怒

the uncaring attitude of the people I encountered following the tragedy. 不关心他人的态度的人,我又遇到了证明这次悲剧。

My own lack of understanding left me unprepared for Laura 's death. I often visited her at 我自己的缺乏了解,让我准备不足的情况下罗拉的死。我经常去看她

the Veterans Administration Hospital where she was a patient of a halfway house for mentally 美国退伍军人管理局的医院,她是一名患者的折衷办法为精神上的。

ill veterans. Whenever I was with her, she appeared to be relatively happy. I realized, 生病的老兵。每当我和她在一块儿的时候,她似乎比较快乐。我意识到,

after her death, the tremendous effort she had made to appear that way for my benefit. I 在她死后,她犯了极大的努力,为使我看起来好像是这样的。我

knew she had been diagnosed as a chronic depressive; I did not understand the extent of her 知道她已经被诊断为慢性压抑;我不懂这个程度上她

depression. Although Laura had made previous attempts to end her life, I was still shocked 抑郁。虽然劳拉已使以前曾试图结束自己的生命,但我仍然感到震惊

by her ultimate success. I should have realized how desperate she was because, in her usual 她的最终的成功。我应该意识到绝望的她是因为,在像往常一样

protective way, she tried to prepare me. I received a letter shortly before she died in 保护,她试着安排我。我收到了一封信,她去世前不久

which Laura had written, \ 这劳拉已上所记、“恐慌和绝望是压倒性的”。我不予理睬她 cry. 哭泣。

When we first learned of Laura 's intentions, my family received no assistance in trying to 当我们第一次得知劳拉奇摩的意图,我的家庭没有得到援助试图吗

determine whether she was dead or alive. My sister Carol received a letter from Laura which 确定她是否死的还是活的。我的妹妹卡罗尔收到一封劳拉

began, \ 说道,“请原谅我。我只是不能忍受住了。”我们立刻叫

hospital and learned that Laura had already been missing for twenty-six hours. But despite 医院和得知劳拉已经失踪了26个小时。但是,尽管

our plea, no one at the Veterans Administration Hospital or the police department would 我们的请求,没有一个在退伍军人管理局的医院或警察部门

agree to search for her. Mr. Thompson of the VA Hospital stated that Laura was no longer 同意进行寻找。VA医院的汤普森先生表示,劳拉是不再

their responsibility since she had voluntarily left the hospital grounds. Donna Edwards of 他们的责任,因为她出于自愿离开了医院的基础上。唐娜·爱德华兹的

the police department's Missing Persons Bureau indifferently remarked that they could do 警察局的失踪的人局,这种谈起他们能做的

nothing because Laura was \ 一事无成,正因为劳拉是“国家财产。”开车去医院,4个小时

drive from our home, we began a systematic and nerve-racking verbal investigation of Laura 开车从我们的家,我们开始系统和伤脑筋的语言调查劳拉

's friends, cab companies, and hotels. We found Laura, but our worst fears were confirmed. 奇摩的朋友、出租车公司、及酒店经营与管理。我们发现劳拉,但我们确定了最坏的打算。

We were too late. 我们太迟了。

What really makes me angry is that no one tried to stop her. According to Kathy, a friend of 真正让我生气的是,没有人在试图阻止她。根据凯西,一个朋友的

Laura 's who was also a patient at the VA center, something particularly upsetting happened 劳拉的那病人是VA中心,一些特别让你心烦意乱,为你的曾经拥有

to Laura that day. After being assured by her doctor 's secretary that the doctor would see 对劳娜的那一天。在被保证,她的医生的秘书医生就明白了

her, Laura went to his office. Her psychiatrist rudely told her she would have to make an 她,劳拉去他的办公室。粗鲁地她的心理医生说,她将

appointment for the following week. When Laura protested, he yelled, \ 约在在接下来的一周。当劳拉极力反对,他却吼道,“滚出,还是怎么办

I'll call the guards!\ 我会打电话给守卫!”劳拉有从地狱逃出来,坚决地来到她的房间,她写道

her last letter, then left the center. A short while later, Kathy saw Laura waiting at a bus 她的上一封信,然后离开了中心。不久,凯西看见劳拉等在一辆公共汽车

stop. She asked Laura where she was going, and Laura replied, \ 停止。她问劳拉要去哪儿,她就,劳拉回答说:“我的。我在我去的路上

executioner!\ 刽子手!”凯西,意识到劳拉很绝望,请求的医院工作人员要做

something to stop her or, at least, to call us. They refused. It took us only two hours to 一些阻止她,或者至少给我们打电话。他们拒绝了。我们花了只有2小时

find Laura once we arrived in town; her death might have been avoided if we had been 找到劳拉一旦我们抵达镇上;她的死亡是可以避免的,如果我们了

notified immediately or if the hospital personnel had taken appropriate action themselves. 立即通知或如果的医院工作人员已经采取了适当的措施自己。

Despite what might have been, the cruel reality was that Laura 's retreat from a life she 尽管可能是真的,残酷的现实是,劳拉的后退的生活她 found unbearable was finally complete. 发现无法忍受的终于完成。

Laura 's life was one of quiet desperation. She silently screamed out the agony of her 劳拉那样的人是一个平静的绝望中。她默默的痛苦尖叫起来

existence, but no one listened. She silently begged for help, but no one heard. Or cared. At